[Insight-developers] Image as an OrientedImage Progress

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 10:57:30 EDT 2008

Here is the problem with the remaining failing tests. This issue has
been raised before.
See http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=5573

There are really two "dimensions" of an image.

1) ImageDimension is the number of dimensions in the image container,
1, 2, 3, ...
2) I'll call it SpatialDimension, the number of dimensions in the
coordinate system of the image. This dimension is the dimension used
for origin, spacing and the direction.

For example, in general, DICOM images have an image dimension of 2,
yet the image position patient and directions are of dimension 3.
Analyze images have the same issue. And I'm sure nrrd's also.

In the failing tests, single dicom images are selected and the direction
1 0 0
0 0 -1
0 -1 0

The current logic in ImageFileReader, simply truncates the direction to:
1 0
0 0
which is singular.

So... we need some further thought about this problem.