[Insight-developers] reading 3D tiff (/dcm pair Mevis): THIRD-PARTY LIBRARY PATROL

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Sep 23 11:38:06 EDT 2008

Sean McBride wrote:
> On 9/20/08 5:39 PM, Luis Ibanez said:
>

>>  Updating 3rd party libraries is easier said than done.
>

> True... and part of the reason (IMNSHO) is that we wait so long.
> Updating from x.y.z to x.y.z+1 will generally be pretty easy, but many
> of the libraries are so out of date that it is now a big job.

Yeap, I certainly agree.

Frequent updates will make things a lot simpler.

One thing we could pursue is to have people in the community to
"Adopt" specific ITK 3rd party libraries, in the same way we are
giving Bugs in Adoption.

The adopter would then update that specific 3rd party library at
every release (every three months).

As you pointed out, in this way the process will be a lot less
painful, and by distributing this among the larger community of
developers, we should be able to cover most of the 3rd party
libraries.

It will be a good idea to share the adoption of every 3rd party
library among two or three developers. This will provide some
redundancy (of the good kind) and also reduce the work load for
each one of the contributors.

Heavy users of each one of the libraries will be natural candidates
for adopting the maintenance of that library, and they will be in
a good position for testing it extensively, since they use them in
their daily projects.

========

So, here is the proposal:

Let's follow the example of the Wikipedians
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Patrol

and create an ITK "Third Party Library Patrol"

In the Working Groups we have added an entry for it:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Working_Groups

the direct Wiki page is at:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Third_Party_Library_Patrol

Volunteers will receive the same CVS write access and
developer status that is currently given to "Bug Adopters".

Would you be interested in volunteering for any of
these libraries ?

If so,
please feel free to add your name to this Wiki page.

---

The 3.10 release will be a great opportunity to move
forward with this initiative.