[Insight-developers] So -- no concensus on smoothing re MultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter?

Hans Johnson hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Thu Apr 9 07:30:35 EDT 2009

Since this is considered a bug for over a year
http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=7002 we should consider the fact that
MultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter smooths for unit shrink factors a bug that
would allow us to fix it (even through numerical sameness/backwards
compatibility will be lost).

This is not the behavior that I would expect by reading the documentation on
how an Image Pyramid should be constructed (i.e. The top level should be an
exact copy of the reference images).

I think that this is a bug that also affects the
RecursiveMultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter because it would produce
different results for the unit shrink factor image if I change the shrink
schedule from being downward divisible to being non-downward divisible.
This is particularly nasty because given the same "shrink schedule
[8,4,2,1]" the unit shrink result will be different depending on the size of
the input image.

===============
If there are no objects today, then the solution that will be implemented
will be:

1) Add a test that fails when the unit shrink image is not the same as the
reference image (and the m_SmoothIfUnitShrinkFactors =false).
2) Add the m_SmoothIfUnitShrinkFactors conditional flag to allow explicit
smoothing of the unit shrink factors.
3) Set the default to "false" in all cases.

Regards,
Hans