[Insight-developers] Integrating the New Statistics framework into ITK

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Apr 9 17:24:35 EDT 2009

Hi Bill,

Le 9 avr. 09 à 22:21, Bill Lorensen a écrit :

> I would not give up too hastily the backward compatibility potential
> of the new statistics. A t first glance, it seems that some additional
> effort should be made to make the new statistics more compatible than
> it is currently.

Sure, it would be great to keep things as backward compatible as
possible, to make the transition to the new framework as simple as
possible.

> A simple replacement is simple for us developers, but does not
> consider our large community of customers that rely on a stable API to
> build their applications and products.

I understand that the API should stay stable as long as possible - I'm
not suggesting to break the backward compatibility every release.

But keeping backward compatible API also has a cost, and at some
point, it's better to change it rather than accumulating layers of
complexity absolutely useless excepted for backward compatibility.
The users can continue to use the previous library release for their
applications and products, up to the time they decide to switch to the
new library version and benefit of the new feature/developments/API.
Most of the library are doing that, and it seems to be a quite good
method.
Maybe it's not yet time to break the API, but at least it should be
discussed.

And the simple replacement is also simpler for the new users, not only
for the developers, because they'll be able to use the enhanced
framework without taking care of our large number of half hidden cmake
advanced options.

Gaëtan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann