[Insight-developers] DiffusionFunctions and ImageSpacing bug

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Tue Apr 14 18:58:48 EDT 2009

I just submitted the following bug.

http://www.itk.org/Bug/view.php?id=8888

In itkCurvatureNDAnisotropicDiffusionFunction.txx it appears to
correctly implement image spacing by utilizing the m_ScaleCoefficients
for computation of the derivatives.

I was using itkGradientAnisotropicDiffusion on some anisotropic
spacing imaged so I turned on UseImageSpacing, at which point my next
to no diffusion occurred. This seems to be the cause. I scaled the
computation in the appropriate Diffusion function and the results
appear to be what I expected. I crossed checked with the other
"DiffusionFunctions" and found only one of the four appeared to be
implemented correctly.

Bill appears to have made these changes some time ago in just scalar
Curvature.

http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Code/BasicFilters/itkCurvatureNDAnisotropicDiffusionFunction.txx?root=Insight&r1=1.11&r2=1.12

Can some one please confirm that this is a bug that should be fix?

Thanks,
Brad

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for