[Insight-developers] Extending the Analyze Reader to read/write RGB files?

Daniel Blezek Blezek.Daniel at mayo.edu
Tue Apr 21 17:27:10 EDT 2009

Hi Kent,

  The format is packed RGB chars.  In memory, Analyze makes them R, G and B
volumes.

  I doubt this format is worth supporting.  Analyze itself will read RGB
volumes, I can test files and produce a test volume for you if you like.

-dan

On 4/21/09 1:12 PM, "kent williams" <norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu> wrote:

> Thanks to Luis, I guess I'm supposed to get the itk::AnalyzeImageIO to
> support RGB analyze files.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't find any place that describes the data layout of
> Analyze 7.5 RGB files.  The NIfTI reader seems to assume that each 24-bit
> RGB pixel is contiguous in memory.
>
> The Analyze 7.5 reader has a bunch of stuff from the original BRAINS2
> Analyze file reader, which is commented out, and it suggess that RGB files
> are written out as an R volume followed by a G volume followed by a B
> volume.  Now, the code that's commented out, when I look at it, seems really
> wrong and old -- old enough and wrong enough that I don't trust its
> assumptions.
>
> But that commented-out code raises my doubts about what the true Analyze 7.5
> RGB data layout is.  And Google search turns up one sketchy PDF file about
> the 7.5 format that doesn't explain RGB image format, and the actual Analyze
> 7.5 header is no more informative.
>
> Does anyone know what the answer is, and does anyone have examples of that
> rara avis, an RGB Analyze7.5 file?
>
> And is there an application that can READ an RGB Analyze 7.5 file? The
> original bug report complained about not being able to WRITE such an image
> file, and makes no mention of being able to read one.
>
> Now, if a developer is writing files out to be read in with any modern
> application, Analyze files are a poor choice -- in this case, I'd suggest
> using a NIfTI file instead.  If they're using an old program that claims to
> be able to read RGB Analyze files, I can understand.
>
> And a further mystery -- who is x25c54?
>

> Notice: This UI Health Care e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the
> Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential
> and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
> hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
> this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that
> you have received the message in error, then delete it.  Thank you.

Daniel Blezek, PhD
Medical Imaging Informatics Innovation Center

P 127 or (77) 8 8886
T 507 538 8886
E blezek.daniel at mayo.edu

Mayo Clinic