[Insight-developers] Fixed width integer types, itkIntTypes, and portable 64-bit integer

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon Dec 7 13:02:46 EST 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 12:34 PM, Brad King wrote:

> VTK has try-compiles for this and knows how to define the missing streaming
> operator.  Is conversion to double a problem on compilers other than VS6?

What systems have the missing stream operator?

I have copied most the cmake script which deals with 64-bit integers from VTK into ITK. Based on what I have seen on ITK's dashboard VS6 and BCC don't have functioning 64-bit integers. Further more I don't know of a system which has __int64 fully functional and it's not essentially long long.

I think that it's is almost necessary to provide numeric traits for all fixed integer types we define.

I tried to define numeric traits for __int64 but the results were incorrect.

http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Code/Common/itkNumericTraits.h?root=Insight&r1=1.62&r2=1.63
http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Code/Common/itkNumericTraits.cxx?root=Insight&r1=1.12&r2=1.13
http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Testing/Code/Common/itkNumericTraitsTest.cxx?revision=1.14&root=Insight&view=markup

Output (note "is one positive" and the zero value):

> itk::NumericTraits<__int64>
> 	is_specialized: 0
> 	digits: 0
> 	digits10: 0