[Insight-developers] backward compatibility issue with new streaming support

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Fri Dec 11 10:44:29 EST 2009

Yes the existing code should work. Since it's an exposed ITK interface, it
should maintain backwards compatibility. There's no controversy about
backwards compatibility being a Very Good Thing, and worth the occasional
pain it incurs.

My response is a suggestion of an easier way to leverage ITK's I/O
infrastructure, based on my own experience with it.

At Iowa, we started using ITK for I/O in a way very similar to the one
Marius describes.  When we started using ITK I/O in the way it was designed
to be used, it allowed use to retire thousands of lines of hard-to-maintain
code.  I'm not telling him to do the same thing, or telling him not to
report backwards compatibility bugs. I'm just pointing out the advantages of
going a different direction.