[Insight-developers] Teem : NrrdIO sync with ITK : NrrdIO - now proceeding...

Gordon L. Kindlmann glk at uchicago.edu
Sat Dec 19 01:33:48 EST 2009

Hello,

Thanks very much for working on this.

On Dec 18, 2009, at 7:46 AM, Michel Audette wrote:

> Hi Gordon,
>
> I am the software engineer at Kitware doing the reconciliation
> between ITK's NrrdIO directory and Teem's NrrdIO directory. Looking
> at the revision history of the former on the ITK Dashboard, most of
> the comments that followed your own 2005 commits are of the nature...
>
> Addressing warnings in Windows 64bits related to conversions from
> size_t to int and to unsigned int.
> Addressing warnings in Windows 64bits related to conversions from
> size_t to ints and unsigned ints.
>
> Unless you or other ITK developers object, my strategy will be to
> retain the extra functionality that you have in Teem in the final
> version, with a view to replacing the size_t's by unsigned ints, and
> in general keep a superset of the two sets of changes.

Can you explain this in a little more detail?   What's an example of a
size_t that would be changed to an unsigned int?

I'm guessing that these are warnings about printf'ing a size_t value
with an unsigned int format sequence, right?  Its the printf format
sequence that should be changed, not the type of variable itself.  How
Nrrd is using size_t is not something that should be changed for this.

> You seem to have emphasize const pointers in Teem, which could be
> applied to the ITK version, since these are now increasingly
> emphasized in ITK style.

great.

> I welcome any comments from you and the community that relate to
> this update.

I've augmented the table here:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Updating_Nrrd_library_2009#Table

to better document where files in NrrdIO are coming from; whether
they're copied (via NrrdIO/pre-GNUmakefile) from Teem itself, and if
so where.  This should help back-propagate the changes.

Is there an *easy* way of linking from the files listed on that table,
to a ViewVC-type record of the changes that it has seen in ITK?

Finally, to make changes in Teem you'll need to be added to the
sourceforge Teem project; let me know your sourceforge login (or
create one if you don't have one already) so that I can do this.

thanks,
Gordon