[Insight-developers] Shared library question

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at m4x.org
Thu Jul 30 09:23:04 EDT 2009

Hi Bill,

I just saw your recent activity on an old shared lib bug:

First of all, thanks for taking care of this!

This reminded me of a somewhat related question that bugged me some
time ago. Why is it that on windows (at least with visual studio) when
we enable shared libs in ITK, we end up with only one dll (cf.
http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2008-June/026139.html )
whereas we have several on linux?

Is this related to the ITK_EXPORT macro? My basic understanding is
that visual c++ requires one specific export/import macro per dll but
ITK only uses ITKCommon_EXPORT, cf.
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Code/Common/itkWin32Header.h?root=Insight&sortby=date&view=markup

Regards,
Tom