[Insight-developers] ITK Dashboard : unused variable : 12 warnings

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Mar 17 10:54:34 EDT 2009

On 3/16/09 7:23 AM, Luis Ibanez said:

>81: inline T& operator () (unsigned i, unsigned j) {
>82:    assert(i == j);
>83:    return diagonal_[i];
>84:   }
>
> *SNIP*
>
>81: #ifdef NDEBUG
>82: inline T& operator () (unsigned i, unsigned   ) {
>83: #else
>84: inline T& operator () (unsigned i, unsigned j ) {
>85: #endif
>

>Do you see any drawback in making this replacement ?

Luis,

Personally, I find that a little verbose and ugly.  :)  I suggest the
following:

81: inline T& operator () (unsigned i, unsigned j) {
82:    assert(i == j); (void)j;
83:    return diagonal_[i];
84:   }

Note the added "(void)j".  This makes 'j' 'used', but do nothing.  It is
a portable way to selectively silence that warning.

We will also be making the change Bill requested to our dashboard
scripts, so the other option is to change nothing. :)

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com