[Insight-developers] Portable round - Is it still time to commit?

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at m4x.org
Mon May 25 06:06:18 EDT 2009

Hi all,

It seems I have been away at a critical time. Before leaving, I
thought I would have some time at my return (today) to commit a few
patches. However apparently the deadline for 3.14 is today...

There are a few things that bother me in the current state of things
with respect to the new rounding functions:

1) The code still relies on ITK_USE_PORTABLE_ROUND. As mentioned by
Luis, this variable was intended to be temporary. I really think that
the release should not have this variable. The patch for that is
straightforward since  ITK_USE_PORTABLE_ROUND is only used in a few
files and does not change the behavior of the code at all.

2) The current implementation of rounding on gcc (when sse2 is not
available) works only on x86. However the code checks that it is not
compiling for ppc nor for ppc64. As discussed with Sean McBride, It
would make more sense to really check that we are on a a x86 platform.

3) itkMacro.h only wraps the rounding function in vnl but not the ceil
and floor. It would be nice to wrap them and fix bugs 2078 and 5692 by
using itk::Math::Floor. The patch for this is also rather
straightforward.

Do you think that any of these points merit attention before the
release or should I wait until the reopening of the repository to
handle this?

For your consideration, I have attached a patch for these three
points. I can of course split it if deemed necessary.

Cheers,
Tom Vercauteren