[Insight-developers] ITK_Origin + MetaDataDictionaryArray + GDCM2

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 04:51:55 EDT 2009

> Ok. If you can write out a SC Image Storage with an IPP or IOP then
> this is a bug in GDCM 1.x. I need to make sure people understand that
> SC Image Storage (even the new Enhanced SC Image Storage) does not
> have those attributes. The major issue that I can think of is that a
> series of 2d SC objects will never be loaded as 3D volume on any PACS
> out there.
> I believe the behavior in GDCM 2.x is the proper one (dciodvfy should
> also report no error on those attributes)

Ok, then I believe that:

- itk::ImageSeriesWriter should add ITK_Origin, ITK_Spacing and
ITK_NumberOfDimensions to all MetaDataDictionary of the Array if it is
set (because if a 3D image is used to produce a 2D image set, the 3rd
value of the origin is lost by ImageSeriesWriter, then on line "1320
ipp.SetValue( origin[2], 2);" the value set is always 0

and/or

- itk::GDCMImageIO (GDCM2 only) should replace m_Origin values from
the values read from IPP if this was set by the user.

Thanks,
 Daniele