[Insight-developers] Advice on filter writing -- 2 arrays of images as inputs?

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Oct 7 10:31:32 EDT 2009

Hello Kent,

	That sounds like an interesting design problem. My first thought was
to make the custom image array a data object, but that still would not
let you use the ImageToImage filter and would require a rewriting that
class.
	What about considering the input two vector images? If you can
restrict the input to scalars, then you might be able to internally
use two ImageToVectorImageFilters?

Just a thought hope it helps,
Brad

On Oct 6, 2009, at 6:09 PM, kent williams wrote:

> I have been assigned the task of converting one of those faux-ITK
> filters
> that people write -- you know, where they have SetInput(s), Update()
> and
> GetOutput(s) but it's not actually a pipeline-compatible filter --
> into an
> actual ITK filter.
>
> What's blowing my mind about it is that as it stands, it takes as
> inputs two
> arrays of images. Not an itk::Array or itk::Vector, but a homegrown
> array
> class.
>
> My question is this: What is the most ITK-esque way to handle two
> sets of
> multiple image inputs?  SetNthInput seems fine for a class with only
> one
> array of homogenous inputs, but I don't know what to do with a
> second array.

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for
National Library of Medicine