[Insight-developers] Bug in ExtractImageFilter

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Fri Oct 16 10:20:14 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 09:32 -0400, Bradley Lowekamp wrote:
> Hello Kevin,

Thank you for looking into this.

> This is not a bug.

Somehow I just don't buy it.

Changing the region to be extracted just seems like such a fundamental
change to this filter that the filter should know that it needs to look
upstream to see if it can get the new region.

> If you change the methods used to invoke the pipeline execution from
> Update to UpdateLargestPossibleRegion it should work.

You're right that does work.

It makes me feel dirty though. Like I'm asking the filter to extract my
sub region, then a few lines later telling it to get the whole image.

> It comes down to an old requested region staying around and not being
> updated.

And that doesn't sound like a bug to you?

> So you could also use the SetRequestedRegionToLargestPossibleRegion
> before each Update methods is called.

I don't know how to make that work.

Neither :

extract->SetExtractionRegion( region );
image->SetRequestedRegionToLargestPossibleRegion();

nor :

extract->SetExtractionRegion( region );
extract->GetOutput()->SetRequestedRegionToLargestPossibleRegion();

works. What are you suggesting I try?

Again, I have a negative emotional reaction to this.

When a user sets the region to be extracted the user is literally
requesting a region.

I just don't see any user then writing a command that by it's name is
asking for some other region.