[Insight-developers] NIfTI orientation issue

Mathieu Coursolle mathieu at rogue-research.com
Mon Oct 26 13:59:31 EDT 2009

Hi ITK developers,

I am using the itkNiftiImageIO to load NIfTI image data. The NIfTI
file format defines 2 different methods to map voxels
to physical coordinates. One of those methods is using a quaternion
and is defined when the qform_code > 0. The other
method is using a linear transform and is defined when the sform_code
 > 0.

Looking at the code which sets the orientation based on the NIfTI
header, it seems to prioritize the qform over the sform.
(See void NiftiImageIO:: SetImageIOOrientationFromNIfTI(unsigned short
int dims))

However, there are some cases where I would need both the qform and
the sform transforms once the data is loaded.
I guess one option would be to add them as part of the metadata ?

Could we do something like:

EncapsulateMetaData<std::vector<std::vector<double> > >(this-
 >GetMetaDataDictionary(),"qform", myQForm);
EncapsulateMetaData<std::vector<std::vector<double> > >(this-
 >GetMetaDataDictionary(),"sform", mySForm);

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

Mathieu Coursolle, ing.jr., M.Ing.