[Insight-developers] New commit type: "DOC" for documentation

Niels Dekker niels-xtk at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 21 11:32:27 EDT 2009

Last Saturday, Bill Lorensen has added a new CVS commit type, "DOC", to
the exisiting list of commit types ("ENH", "BUG", "STYLE", "COMP",
"PERF").  According to a request of mine:
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7240  Thanks, Bill!

My idea is to use "DOC" only for commits that are strictly limited to
documentation (typically explanatory comments, ignored by the compiler).
While a STYLE commit might accidentally cause a (minor) change of
behavior (you know, bad things happen), a true DOC commit can't possibly
do so, because it doesn't change anything to the programming logic. So
when looking for the introduction of a bug or other behavioral change in
CVS history, commits that are labeled "DOC" should be ignorable.

I have only committed very little to ITK so far, so I just hope you all
like the intention behind "DOC".

Kind regards, Niels
--
Niels Dekker