[Insight-developers] github vs github

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Aug 10 15:28:09 EDT 2010

On 08/10/2010 03:19 PM, Jim Miller wrote:
> What is the role of the Kitware/ITK github repository?  Why would people
> reference this repository instead of the git repository at itk.org
> <http://itk.org/>?
>
> Is the purpose so to provide a convenient "fork" location that minimizes
> the resources used at github? Otherwise, I envision everyone doing what
> I did which was clone from itk.org <http://itk.org/> and the upload my
> clone to github.
>
> How often/when will the Kitware/ITK github be synced with itk.org
> <http://itk.org/> repository?

The github mirror is synced with itk.org every few minutes.

Github documents that its preferred way to create a personal clone of
a project that is already hosted on github is to use the "fork" button.
This saves resources on their side.  Also, if all ITK folks fork from
the github.com/Kitware/ITK repository on github then Github links them
together:

  http://github.com/Kitware/ITK/network

Then people can submit pull requests to one another as a means
of collaboration.

-Brad