[Insight-developers] Renames in ITK history :)

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Tue Aug 10 16:30:51 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>wrote:

> I may have other changes I am not ready to commit. So what specific
> commit do I use just for these chamnges.
>
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Matthew McCormick (thewtex)
> <matt at mmmccormick.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Let's say old is a directory.
> >> I do
> >> git mv old new
> >>
> >> How to I commit? Do I just do
> >> git commit new
> >>

> > Just
> >   git commit
> > works.
> >
> > I like to do 'git commit -a'  whenever possible because it will catch any
> > files I forgot to do 'git rm' on.

As with any git commit, you first do:

git add file1
git add file2
git add ...

Then do the git commit and it will only commit the files you've added.

I always do "git status" a lot to see what git thinks I've done in between
all the other git commands. One thing I like about git: when you do a git
status, it gives you helpful hints about how to add new files, or how to get
a file back to its state from the repo.

HTH,
David