[Insight-developers] github vs github

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Aug 11 10:28:46 EDT 2010

On 08/10/2010 09:12 PM, Jim Miller wrote:
> Thanks Brad L.  I wasn't questioning the value of a github repository
> for ITK or for a personal repository on github.  My question was more
> about the roles of Kitware/ITK github repository vs the role of the
> repository at itk.org <http://itk.org>.

Currently the github repo is a read-only mirror of the itk.org repo.
It is meant to provide easy forking and community collaboration.
There is also one on gitorious.org:

  http://gitorious.org/kitware/itk

These provide easy starting points for others to create their own
repositories for publishing topics for review and discussion before
merging into the main repository.  This has been quite useful for
CMake, VTK, and ParaView so far.

> Said another way, why not have the official ITK repository be on github?
> And if we did that, should it be the ISC/ITK github?

Control of the server allows us to have all the server-side checks
done at push time.  The local hooks help developers create clean
commits, but the server-side checks have the final say (it is easy
to bypass local hooks).  I'm aware of at least one project that has
been using a centralized repository without these checks, and they
have had no end of problems with CRLF conversion, bad email addresses
in the authorship meta-data, and other trouble that inexperienced
Git users encounter while they are learning.  None of the projects
hosted on public.kitware.com (aka vtk.org, cmake.org, paraview.org,
etc.) has had these problems.

-Brad K