[Insight-developers] Tagging ITKv4-Alpha-01 : Moving to next phase

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Sat Aug 14 02:29:53 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Tom Vercauteren <tom.vercauteren at m4x.org>wrote:

> Hi Luis,
>
> Just a quick note about libtiff. The latest version seems actually to
> be 3.9.4 or 4.0beta6:
> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/libtiff
>
> Ubuntu lucid comes with version 3.9.2:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libtiff4
>
> Last time I looked (very briefly though), I understood that large
> image support was planned for the 4.x libtiff series:
> http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/v4.0.0.html

Yes, tiff > 4.0 (in beta stage) includes the Bigtiff format now. Might be
worth asking the microscopy folk to chip in here (see OME-Bigtiff) to see
how much interest there is in this version, since baseline tiff now
supersedes it and reads both formats, otherwise they would be relegated to
file sizes < 4GB.

PS:
In the spirit of extreme testing - Feel like adding this image to the test
suite :)  - (1Terapixel Bigtiff sample image : BreastCancer225.tif from
Bigtiff.org)