[Insight-developers] Flavors of git hosting sites

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Jul 22 14:30:35 EDT 2010

On 07/22/2010 02:21 PM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> and VTK seems to be hosted at Kitware
>
> and ctk seems to be using github.
>
> Are there advantages of one over the other?
> Or maybe it really doesn't matter?

Actually it can be hosted at any number of sites simultaneously.
Generally one place is considered the endorsed "official" repo.
In the case of VTK, we keep that one at vtk.org but we also push
a read-only mirror to github.com and gitorious.org.  That allows
anyone to fork on one of those sites and get their own public
repository to which they can publish changes.  Ultimately though
there has to be one repository from which release tarballs are
built and that dashboard clients test.

The advantage of hosting our own repository as the place for
all developers to push changes is that we can use an update
hook to do server-enforced checks.  This helps automate and
enforce clean history.  At first I plan to do the same for ITK
as we've done for VTK.  When we start splitting ITK into modules
and having many repositories we may change to something else.

-Brad