[Insight-developers] Linear algebra licensing and ITK 3.18 Release

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 11:09:43 EST 2010

Hi Luis and Bill,

Sorry to come back to it, but I have to admit I am a bit lost on the
linear algebra problem that blocks the 3.18 release.

Is there a bug tracker entry that lists the remaining issues that
needs to be solved before getting 3.18 out? I am not sure to know what
needs to be fixed exactly. Is it only lsqr as implied by your message
here:
  http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2010-January/035063.html
or are there other potential problems?

If it's only lsqr, are you sure that we are not allowed to use it? If
I look at the different lsqr packages here,
  http://www.stanford.edu/group/SOL/software/lsqr.html
I would be inclined to think that the lsqr code is licensed under the
CPL which seems to be incompatible with BSD*.
However, lsqr is only one part of the SOL package from Stanford:
  http://www.stanford.edu/group/SOL/software.html

And from this page, it is clearly stated that
  "The software may alternatively be used under the terms of a  BSD License."

Could that solve the 3.18 blocker?

Anyhow, this raises some other related questions. What is the base
plan for 3.18?
1) Find a decent set of patches that answers the licensing issues
or
2) Try and get a suitable replacement for the linear algebra package as a whole

Similarly is there a defined roadmap on this for ITK 4.0?

In the meantime, I have updated the wiki page:
  http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Sparse_Linear_Solvers

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a decent linear algebra
package that covers ITK's needs:
- Support high-level dense matrix algorithms (e.g. Cholesky, LU and QR
factorization, linear solvers, matrix exponential)
- Support high-level sparse matrix algorithm (e.g. least squares
solvers, linear solver)
- BSD-style license
- Maintained code

Despites its headers-only LGPL awkwardnesses (see
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-users/2010-February/035070.html
), the closest I can see is still Eigen.

Regards,
Tom

* IANAL