[Insight-developers] here is a programming tools that may find useful...

Arnaud GELAS arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 11 10:18:22 EST 2010

Hi all,

I recently start using a tool called autojump, which some of you may
find useful.

Taken from the site:*
*http://github.com/joelthelion/autojump*

"Autojump: a cd command that learns*

One of the most used shell commands is "cd". A quick survey among my
friends revealed that between 10 and 20% of all commands they type are
actually cd commands! Unfortunately, jumping from one part of your
system to another with cd requires to enter almost the full path, which
isn't very practical and requires a lot of keystrokes.

*autojump* is a faster way to navigate your filesystem. It works by
maintaining a database of the directories you use the most from the
command line. The jumpstat command shows you the current contents of the
database. You need to work a little bit before the database becomes
usable. Autojump will listen and rank your 'cd' commands by frequency.
Once your database is reasonably complete, you can "jump" to a commonly
"cd"ed directory by typing:

*j* dirspec

where dirspec is a few characters of the directory you want to jump to.
It will jump to the most used directory whose name matches the pattern
given in dirspec.

Autojump supports tab-completion. Try it! Autojump should be compatible
with Bash 4 and zsh."

After spending few hours to one day navigating in my system using
conventional "cd", autojump has learnt all the path where I use to go
and it becomes really easy to move from one directory to another one by
using "j".

Cheers,
Arnaud