[Insight-developers] Casting constructors for DTI and Sym Mat pixeltypes

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Mar 16 12:24:02 EDT 2010

Hi Karthik,

Thanks for pointing this out.

You are right,
the FixedArray already provide a templated  implementation
of the operator=() as well as the casting constructor.

Luke:

Would you like to give it a shot at implementing these
methods in the itkSymmetricSecondRankTensor ?

You may want to follow the example of

itkFixedArray.h lines:

       145-155 :  Constructor with casting

       171-183 :  operator=  with casting

The corresponding tests for these methods should
be added to the file:

      Insight/Testing/Code/Common/
             itkSymmetricSecondRankTensorTest.cxx

Please let us know if you run into any problem.

It will be nice if you could start trying this code soon,
as we may move into cutting the ITK 3.18 release
as soon as we sort out the licensing issues of the
numerical libraries.

--------------------------------------
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Karthik Krishnan
<karthik.krishnan at kitware.com> wrote:
> For FixedArray, Vector, RGBPixel classes, we've already templated the
> operator= and constructor classes to provide implicit casting
> operations and they seem to work well.
>
> Thanks
> --
> karthik
>
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com> wrote:
>> Hi Brad,
>>
>> I can't think of a drawback for the explicit constructors
>> right now,...  (but I may just be low in coffee).     :-/
>>

>> I worry about the "invisibility" of these methods, and how
>> easy it is to add them, and how hard it will be to remove
>> them if something goes wrong with them.
>>

>> I still would vote for the "CastFrom()" methods, but if
>> enough developers are happy with explicit constructors
>> and are willing to help with the maintenance of the code
>> for the next decade, then I'm happy to follow the crowd.   :-)
>>

>>     Luis

>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Bradley Lowekamp
>> <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>>> Hello Luis,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info regarding the itk::Array, I forgot the usefulness of all the inherited methods!
>>>

>>> In regards to this, what is the down side to using an explicit constructor? For example:
>>>
>>> explicit
>>> template<TOtherValueType>