[Insight-developers] Linear algebra licensing and ITK 3.18 Release

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Mar 23 13:49:06 EDT 2010

Hi Emmanuel,

We are not questioning the legality of the LGPL license.

It is quite clear that the LGPL license, as well as all the
other licenses approved by the Open Source initiative
are perfectly legal:

              http://www.opensource.org/licenses

What we are discussing is the compatibility of the LGPL
and GPL licenses with the BSD license used by ITK.

The practical reality is that the LGPL and GPL licenses
are not compatible with the BSD license. In the sense
that code licensed under GPL and LGPL can not be
repackaged and redistributed under a BSD license.

This is because the GPL and LGPL licenses include
conditions that are not present in the BSD license.