[Insight-developers] Linear algebra licensing and ITK 3.18 Release

Gert Wollny gert at die.upm.es
Wed Mar 24 07:58:31 EDT 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 24.03.2010, 09:48 +0800 schrieb Emmanuel Christophe:
> You have to provide the user with a way to modify the LGPL portion of
> the program and rebuild the program. The licence on the rest of the
> code can be whatever you want. This is based on the LGPL v3, the
> earlier version is not so explicit about that.

> I'm having difficulty to find a use case where that could be a
> problem, but I might be missing something here, so please let me know
> what book to read ;-)
The LGPL 2.0 had an example describing the problem: If your program is
statically linked and uses a proprietary library that has a licence that
does not permit the redistribution of the files required to rebuild your
software, then you cannot use the LGPL library.

As for FFTW, if one wants to distribute an proprietary ITK based program
that uses FFTW, one can buy a non-GPL licence from MIT that allows
redistribution without source code.

>GPL is like abstinence-only sex-education in that both try to enforce
>an unrealistic ideal. That's my only point.  And if you're in France,
>the US debate over things like sex education probably looks
>complètement fous.
Well, ideal" is probably not the word I would choose for the aims of
abstinence-only sex-education - but then again I'm from Germany, live in
Spain, and I prefer to publish my software under the GPL - I just don't
want to imagine that someone sells me back my own software with my very
own bugs, and I can't even fix them ;)

Best,

Gert