[Insight-developers] Need to add images for new tests to Data -- how to do that in a Gerrit topic?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Nov 5 14:38:15 EDT 2010

Bill,

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>wrote:

> I hope you have some discussion about this in Iowa. I assume it is a
> proposal and not a mandate.

This is an open source project,

We don't do mandates,
except to keep patented code away     :-)

> I hope that Baselines will remain (go back) in the ITK repository (not
> a submodule). They currently take 17 megs.

What really matters is whether the images are in our local
working tree when they are needed to run the tests, and
whether they are the right version (of the images) for the
current version of the source code.

> Test data is another issue. If there is a solution it must allow
> testing without an internet connection.

Both the Git submodule and MIDAS options allow running
testing without a network connection, of course, as long as

a)  We download the data in an initial step, and
b)  We get the right version of the data.

In practice, in both cases, the work cycle becomes:

0) Download the data initially
1) Run the tests in many instances
2) From time to time download
     new versions of images  that have changed.