[Insight-developers] Need to add images for new tests to Data -- how to do that in a Gerrit topic?

Matthew McCormick (thewtex) matt at mmmccormick.com
Fri Nov 5 18:50:03 EDT 2010

> I suggest we split the data into large, small and baselines. Keep the
> small and baselines with the repository (the way it used to be, no
> submodule). Use MIDAS for the large data.

This seems like the best route.

When I had my test data repository, at some point I added some large
images.  The problem is that once a large image has been committed at
any point in history, it must be downloaded forever.  The Sandlot
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108037/) level of FOREVER.  But, as
Gaëtan points out, the Testing/Data repository size is only 74M with
the entire history.  Relative to the source tree and the size of a
build, this is reasonable.  Maybe Git has gotten much better at binary
diffs and compression since I last tried an image repository.  Gerrit
review could help keep the additions small.

As Luis points out, support for features that address larger images
requires larger images to test the features.  A git repository will
never work for larger images.  The MIDAS system looks very nice.

Either way it goes, they are both good solutions.  The important point
is that something should be done so that contributers can change the
test images in a reasonable fashion.

Regards,
Matt