[Insight-developers] Need to add images for new tests to Data -- how to do that in a Gerrit topic?

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 21:09:25 EDT 2010

Stephen,

As a member of the VTK community and the VTK ARB, I have the same
concerns I mentioned. I do not believe this has been discussed by the
VTK community. I cannot find any discussion regarding this on the VTK
wiki.

Bill

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Stephen Aylward
<stephen.aylward at kitware.com> wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> I think Luis did a great job at pointing out in a previous email that
> this is merely a suggestion for ITK, and there have been numerous
> discussions regarding data hosting and management in repositories
> intended for source code - particularly when used with gerrit.   There
> is a problem.  Heck, Luis didn't start this email thread - someone
> else did when they were trying to determine what to do with their
> data.
>
> My understanding (and it could be wrong on some details, but is
> correct in the general message) is that the system that will be
> presented by others (not Luis) was developed by the CMake team at the
> request of the VTK team, and it is being put into place by those teams
> for those projects.   As an existing open source solution, we should
> consider it.    Never did Luis dictate its use.   You know Luis - he
> isn't like that.
>
> But, you bring up a good point.  The presentation should follow the
> outline you've given - state the problem, discuss how this solution
> addresses them and falls short (I applaud that they already have
> hands-on experience with it), listen to suggestions for alternatives,
> and then pick a way forward as a community.
>
> Stephen
>

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Luis,
>>
>> I am surprised at the approach taken to address this important issue.
>>
>> My suggested approach:
>> ITK needs a better way to manage test data and test baselines. Define
>> the problem, establish baseline measurements, analyze the root causes,
>> propose improvements, establish a process to control the solution. All
>> with community input.
>>
>> The current approach is:
>> ITK needs a better way to manage test data and test baselines. Here is
>> a solution, please review it.
>>
>> The later approach shows that a group has spent time and money for a
>> solution without community input regarding the problem, requirements
>> and alternative solutions.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com> wrote:
>>> Bill,

>>> This is an open source project,
>>>
>>> We don't do mandates,
>>> except to keep patented code away     :-)

>>> What really matters is whether the images are in our local
>>> working tree when they are needed to run the tests, and
>>> whether they are the right version (of the images) for the
>>> current version of the source code.

>>> Both the Git submodule and MIDAS options allow running
>>> testing without a network connection, of course, as long as
>>>
>>> a)  We download the data in an initial step, and
>>> b)  We get the right version of the data.
>>>
>>> In practice, in both cases, the work cycle becomes:
>>>
>>> 0) Download the data initially
>>> 1) Run the tests in many instances