[Insight-developers] GaussianFilter::NormalizeAcrossScale not good for scale space analysis

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Fri Nov 19 10:44:11 EST 2010

Jim,

The bug report I reference below is the one I believe you are referring too:
git show 49e7362fc295033e5e6594b1325a5c7997d9bb95 -- Code/BasicFilters/itkHessianRecursiveGaussianImageFilter.txx

The solution just fixed the Hessian filters so that each second order derivative were scaled by t ( sigma^2) not sigma^3. However, this solution just fixed this one filter, and was incomplete because I have also discovered that the Recursive filter incorrectly applies scaling by the pixel spacing also.

I have placed my proposed solution in my github account:
https://github.com/blowekamp/ITK/commit/f455508a90d6ac6bd2b5e6b08d1b5e7f13f56a60

This would make the current code in the Laplacian, Gradient, Gradient magnitude filters correct for normalized scale-space analysis ( and the original code of the Hessian filter ). These are the algorithms which analyze different level of scale-scale to find local extrema.

I spent much of yesterday pushing a pencil computing theoretical values of a Laplacian of a Gaussian convolved  with a Gaussian blob over the general n-Dimensions. And with these corrections everything lined up correctly and was happy. That is the value of maximal, was maintained with changing of the size of the blob, and changing of the image spacing, i.e. it was correctly normalized across scale. I intent to create a 1-D example that verifies these solution, as my current test depends on my blob detector.

This is the normalization I am constantly seeing in the literature. I very much would like to know if there is any reasoning for the current normalization, because I can't find it myself.

Brad

blowekamp at mail.nih.gov