[Insight-developers] [Insight-registration] vector transformation / reorientation

brian avants stnava at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 20:43:59 EST 2010

Right.  The eigendecomposition approach is part of the "preservation of
principal directions" algorithm used when reorienting diffusion tensors.
 The idea is that, as long as your deformation is a diffeomorphism, you can
estimate it, locally, as an affine transformation.   Then you use the rigid
part of the affine transformation to reorient the tensor's eigenvectors.
 There are a few other steps, though.

My question, in part, is whether ITK's pixel types are specific enough to
uniquely specify the required reorientation.   Some examples:

A diffusion tensor may be reoriented by either PPD (above) or finite strain
estimates.   So this is a non-unique mapping from pixel type to
reorientation strategy.

When reorienting a vector, one may want to change its relative orientation
but not change its length, even under an affine transformation.  Also a
non-unique mapping from pixel type to reorientation strategy.

One approach (what we've done in the past) is to implement filters for each
of these strategies for DTI.  While having filters would be nice, I can see
this becoming confusing, in particular if some metrics/interpolators are
performing reorientation as well.
Matt, I look forward to seeing the strain filter.  Thans much!

Re: Tcon , when would you like to discuss?  Previously, we used 10 am
Tuesday for registration discussions.

Brian

http://review.source.kitware.com/#q,status:open+project:ITK+branch:master+topic:BUG0010725_VTKTensors3,n,z

http://www.itk.org/Doxygen320/html/classitk_1_1SymmetricEigenAnalysis.html#_details