[Insight-developers] Gerrit : Abandoning changes.

Hans Johnson hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Tue Nov 23 19:45:33 EST 2010

Keep in mind that it is easy to move items from abandoned back to open.
They are not thrown away or lost.  "Abandoned" is a bad name, and I wish
there was named "Temporarily on Hold" place for these items.

We currently have more than 1 page worth of open gerrit tickets.  Many of
which are more than 2 weeks old.  It is my experience that gerrit patches
more than 2 weeks old are pretty much ignored, and they start to become
"Noise" that must be sifted through as we try to move items that are ready
for review through the system.

Ideally there would be one more area in Gerrit for "second-tier" patchsets.
First tier patch sets are ones that are actively being finalized, and every
effort should be put into getting them into the master branch ASAP.  The
second-tier patches are ones that were initially rejected, and may need a
couple of months pondering to figure out the correct way to resolve, or one
of many other reasons that they may not re ready for first tier-treatment at
the moment.

I'm currently having a difficult time with determining what patches in the
open gerrit list are "straw-man proposals for comment" and which ones are
ready to be merged into master.

Hans