No subject

Tue Nov 2 11:10:42 EDT 2010

performance, we moved to gcc4 many years ago because the gcc4 compiler
produced so much better performance.

My opinion is that there are two comminutes that we should focus on: 1) ITK
users who are software/algorithm developers, 2) medical image processing en=
users who prefer pre-built binaries.

Group #1 is mostly using a fairly recent freely available version of
compilers for their platforms.  The ITK dashboard has many compilers that
are only used for testing, but never really used by end users.  I'd contend
that if there is a user community that depends on Mac 10.3.9 (released in
April 15, 2005).  That communities need for ITKv4 is not large enough to
justify the effort of maintaining it.  Even RedHat EL4 (4.1, also known as
Update 1, 2005-06-09) has gccv4, and RedHat is one of the most conservative
Linux variations.

Group #2 depends on Group #1 to get them the best compiled version of the
library.

In my highly opinionated cost/benefit analysis, we will gain more happy
end-users from targeted performance testing and maintenance simplifications
at the cost of a few un-happy end-users who will be required to find a way
to install an updated free (from a licensing perspective) one of our few
supported compilers.

For ITKv4's life cycle of September 2011-2020, we should target the
"available commodity" compilers of the most commonly used operating systems
of say 2009.

That would be
WindowsXP -- (released in November 2007) Visual Studio 2008 Express ,
Mac 10.5 (October 26, 2007)-- gcc4
RedHat Linux 5 (5.1, also known as Update 1, 2007-11-07)--gcc4

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
So in summary:
** ITKv4 won't be "in the wild" until about a year from now.
** Now is our only opportunity to simplify the maintenance burden for the
next 10 years (i.e. old compilers not being supported).
** The diversity of compilers to be supported in ITKv4 will be monotonicall=
increasing over the next 10 years.

Regards,
Hans
--=20