[Insight-developers] Proposal: refactoring of image class hierarchy in ITK v4

Daniel Blezek Blezek.Daniel at mayo.edu
Tue Oct 5 16:53:10 EDT 2010

Won't removing GetBufferPointer() make it much more difficult to interface
with VTK and other external systems?  I'd hate to have to make a copy of my
images every time I go in and out of ITK...

On 10/5/10 3:43 PM, "Bill Lorensen" <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Jim Miller, the architect of the itkImage classes admits that exposing
> GetBufferPointer() was a mistake. This can be corrected in itkV4.
>
> Bill
>

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Dan Mueller <dan.muel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Cory,
>>
>> Not sure if the community wants to include/refactor the image classes
>> proposed here
>>    http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/646
>> namely
>>    SliceContinguousImage
>>    SingleBitBinaryImage
>> which would derive from RegularImageBase in your proposed hierarchy.
>>
>> You have done a comprehensive analysis of where spacing is used; the
>> addition of the above classes would also require an analysis of the
>> use of GetBufferPointer(), which will not fall out as easy as
>> spacing...
>>
>> Cheers, Dan
>>
>> On 5 October 2010 18:12, Cory Quammen <cquammen at cs.unc.edu> wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I've drafted a proposal for refactoring the image class hierarchy in
>>> ITK v4, which can be found here:
>>>
>>> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Image_Class_Hierarchy_Refactoring
>>>
>>> Please feel free to modify the wiki page to address things I've
>>> overlooked, suggest nomenclature improvements, or correct things I
>>> have gotten wrong.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Cory
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cory Quammen
>>> Computer Integrated Systems for Microscopy and Manipulation (CISMM)
>>> Department of Computer Science
>>> University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
>>> http://www.cs.unc.edu/~cquammen
>>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>>> http://kitware.com/products/protraining.html

>>> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

Daniel Blezek, PhD
Medical Imaging Informatics Innovation Center

P 127 or (77) 8 8886
T 507 538 8886
E blezek.daniel at mayo.edu

Mayo Clinic
200 First St. S.W.
Harwick SL-44
Rochester, MN 55905
mayoclinic.org
"It is more complicated than you think." -- RFC 1925