[Insight-developers] Proposal: refactoring of image class hierarchy in ITK v4

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Tue Oct 5 17:23:46 EDT 2010

  Hi All:

I see that Cory's proposed image class hierarchy includes images with
non-uniform spacing along at least one axis.

For what it's worth, many years ago I published a paper on how to do
fast (constant time rather than O(log(Nslices)) coordinate-to-index
lookups in such images:

T. Rohlfing, "Efficient voxel lookup in non-uniformly spaced images
using virtual uniform axes," in /Medical Imaging: Image Processing/,
M. Sonka and K. M. Hanson, Eds., 2001, vol. 4322 of /Proceedings of
SPIE/, pp. 986-994.

Best,
   Torsten

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
  Senior Research Scientist      333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"