[Insight-developers] In-source build : gdcm

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Oct 14 06:28:23 EDT 2010

If by "CPack does not support in-source builds" you mean "it's impossible
for CPack to distinguish your source tree from your build tree" then yes,
CPack does not presently "support" in-source builds.

However:
CPack builds a binary package just fine, regardless of whether it is an
in-source build or not.

And as noted in the bug, CPack may even build a source package just fine, if
the "in-source" "/build/" directory is excluded
using CPACK_SOURCE_IGNORE_FILES.

Even so, I discourage the use of in-source builds, and I would go so far as
to say that they should simply be disallowed. There's no reason that anybody
anywhere ever needs to build in-source. I would be happy if CMake explicitly
disallowed it, and nobody could even produce a build tree in-source...

Spending time supporting in-source builds is simply a waste of valuable time
that could be used elsewhere for something actually worthwhile.

2 cents,
David C.