[Insight-developers] Staged but not merged

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Sat Oct 16 14:16:17 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Folks,
>
> If I run:
> ssh git at itk.org stage ITK print
>
> I get this: (and I don't know what it means)
> BUG_0011157 | master=0
>
> But it shows up as merged in gerrit:
> http://review.source.kitware.com/#q,status:merged,p,000ff48d00000060
>
> Checking the code, I see that the changes have made it into master.
>
> Bill,

This looks like it is due to the topic being rebased, and then pushed with a
different topic name. This is why we do not want people to rebase topics,
additionally it does not have the Change-Id and so Gerrit could not
automatically recognize this commit (I think it is one of the two I had to
manually mark as merged in the database).

I can remove this topic, but the commit that was merged had a hash
of 09f2103f7f81e371007142d8c6d9939fd587bd12, whereas the one in the topic
had a hash of 13e80443a94672521e553ec7db81102ea52e2485, the topic that was
merged was called BUG11157, and the dangling topic is BUG_0011157. I will
remove the topic from the stage, this is done by simply issuing the command,

git push stage :topic-to-remove

I hope that clears up what happened. A large advantage of merging rather
that using the CVS linear style workflow is that the commit objects are
merged as-is, and so Git and Gerrit see them as the same commit. The merge
commit is what brings them into the integration branch, and gives extra
information on when the code was merged into a given integration branch.
This also makes release management much easier (merging topic branches into
bug fix releases etc).

Marcus