[Insight-developers] Staged but not merged

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Sat Oct 16 16:13:13 EDT 2010

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 14:30:57 -0400, Bill Lorensen said:

>Many of us don't really understand what is going on in detail. But, we
>know how to follow instructions. We need good instructions.
>
>Here is the current situation...
>
>Just a few of us are on the bleeding edge. We are your guinea pigs. We
>have a gut feeling that git and gerrit are the way to go. We are also
>process geeks. Some of us are still algorithm developers or do real
>research. But we recognize that these software engineering processes
>are valuable.
>
>Soon, many folks with different skills and interests will be
>contributing to ITK. Some of them will be more focussed on algorithms
>and research. If they become frustrated with our processes we will
>have real problems. These folks will not be able to meet their
>deliverables for their ITK contracts. And  the process could be the
>problem (excuse).

I have to say, that's a pretty good summary of how I feel. :)

I don't contribute to ITK much, and I'm new to git, but I've been
following these discussion and I have the impression that it's all
pretty complicated.  I do understand, at a high level, the advantages
git brings, but the learning curve seems brutal.  I'm avoiding the
bleeding edge on this one, waiting for the the instructions, wiki, and
kinks to get worked out.

BTW: I can be a reviewer for anything Mac OS X-specific, which of course
is a tiny part of ITK.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com