[Insight-developers] Gerrit Process Check

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Mon Oct 18 14:57:49 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why:
> git checkout master
> git pullall
>
> and not just
> git pullall

Because you might not be on the master branch, if you are then the
checkout is not necessary.

> and why:
> git fetch
> git checkout -b my-topic origin/master
>
> and not just
> git pullall
> git checkout -b my-topic origin/master

This means that you do not have to checkout master, and the branch
will not be affected by any local commits you might have on your local
master. I was trying to minimize commands. Otherwise, expressing "if
you are on master, skip, otherwise, switch to the master branch and
then..."

> and instead of:
> git stage-push
> git stage-merge
>
> why not add an alias
> $ git stage-push-and-merge

That could be combined if desired. In other projects there is a next
branch, and you want to choose which branch to merge. It is certainly
possible to combine the two, I guess the question is whether it is
desirable.

> I'm trying to minimize the number of commands and the number of
> different commands.

Certainly. Hopefully I have cleared up why. Another approach in the
docs could be to say "All commands assume you are starting from the
master branch.

Marcus