[Insight-developers] Parallel builds with CMake?

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Tue Oct 19 16:40:19 EDT 2010

Hello

On 19 October 2010 15:08, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> CMake generates makefiles that are capable of parallel build with "-j N"
> flags to make...
> ParaView, VTK and ITK all should work with -j N.
> It is possible to write CMakeLists.txt code that causes problems with
> parallel builds, but they are generally sorted out rather quickly because
> *everyone* uses -j N to build these days.
> If you are having problems with parallel make, then details about the
> specific problem (what version of compiler / make / cmake, and the
> copy/pasted error message) would be helpful in order to help you...

The Debian package of ITK 3.18 had issues building in parallel and the
packaging script was set up to filter out that option.

Now that I build only bare ITK 4  without any docs or wrappings it works fine.

However, the wrapitk which is supposed to replace the previous
wrappings gives wildly different logs when built sequentially and in
parallel (although it does not build in either case currently).

Still the parallel build fails much earlier. Log excerpt below.

Thanks

Michal

[  2%] /usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report
/scratch/itk/wrapitk-read-only/build.1/CMakeFiles
Generating wrap_ITKIOBase.xml
cd /scratch/itk/wrapitk-read-only/build.1/Libraries/IO &&
/usr/bin/gccxml -fxml-start=_cable_ -fxml=/scratch/itk/wrapitk-read-o
nly/build.1/Libraries/IO/wrap_ITKIOBase.xml --gccxml-gcc-options
/scratch/itk/wrapitk-read-only/build.1/Libraries/IO/gcc_xml.in
c -DCSWIG -DCABLE_CONFIGURATION -DITK_MANUAL_INSTANTIATION
/scratch/itk/wrapitk-read-only/build.1/Libraries/IO/wrap_ITKIOBase.cxx
In file included from
/scratch/itk/wrapitk-read-only/build.1/Libraries/IO/wrap_ITKIOBase.cxx:81:
/usr/include/InsightToolkit/IO/itkGDCMSeriesFileNames.h:24:29: error:
gdcmSerieHelper.h: No such file or directory
In file included from
/scratch/itk/wrapitk-read-only/build.1/Libraries/IO/wrap_ITKIOBase.cxx:81:
/usr/include/InsightToolkit/IO/itkGDCMSeriesFileNames.h:139: error:
'gdcm' has not been declared
/usr/include/InsightToolkit/IO/itkGDCMSeriesFileNames.h:139: error:
ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'SerieHelper' with no type
/usr/include/InsightToolkit/IO/itkGDCMSeriesFileNames.h:139: error:
expected ';' before '*' token
/usr/include/InsightToolkit/IO/itkGDCMSeriesFileNames.h:150: error:
expected `;' before 'void'
/usr/include/InsightToolkit/IO/itkGDCMSeriesFileNames.h:190: error:
'gdcm' has not been declared
/usr/include/InsightToolkit/IO/itkGDCMSeriesFileNames.h:190: error:
ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'SerieHelper' with no type
/usr/include/InsightToolkit/IO/itkGDCMSeriesFileNames.h:190: error:
expected ';' before '*' token
/usr/include/InsightToolkit/IO/itkGDCMSeriesFileNames.h: In member
function 'void itk::GDCMSeriesFileNames::AddSeriesRestrictio
n(const std::string&)':
/usr/include/InsightToolkit/IO/itkGDCMSeriesFileNames.h:152: error:
'm_SerieHelper' was not declared in this scope

gcc (Debian 4.4.5-2) 4.4.5

g++ (Debian 4.4.5-2) 4.4.5

GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
cmake version 2.8.2