[Insight-developers] itkVTKPolyDataReader.h reads ascii only--- why?

brian avants stnava at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 23:40:41 EDT 2010

Vince --- My understanding (though perhaps outdated?) is that vtk
meshes lose direction information (obtained by calling GetDirection on
an itk image) b/c a vtk image does not store this information.  So, if
you create a pipeline like this:

ITK-Image =>  VTK-Image => MarchingCube => VTK-Mesh => ITK-Mesh

then you will lose the directionality information at the ITK to VTK
stage.  Which is a problem if the direction is not the identity. The
mesh, consequently, doesnt have orientation either, unless you
explicitly set it yourself (not hard to do) by mapping the vtk-points
through the orienting transformation.  So, maybe there is a filter
that already does this or perhaps the vtk image object is updated and
now stores the orientation?   Or maybe there's another vtk filter that
should be inserted into the pipeline above to reorient the output of
marching cubes back into ITK physical space?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Magnotta, Vincent A
<vincent-magnotta at uiowa.edu> wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I don't understand this question. Isn't the VTK point information already in
> physical space? Maybe this is just how I have always dealt with the VTK
> data. I believe that Slicer also follows this convention.
>
> Vince

> Associate Professor
> Department of Radiology
> 0453-D JCP