[Insight-developers] gerrit: Ouch...my mouse clicking finger is sore ; )

Hans Johnson hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Thu Oct 21 08:44:57 EDT 2010

Gaetan,

I made a few comments where the standard ITK copyright comments were missing
in files.  Could you please add those before you do the commit?

Once the copyright comment is added, I'm OK with you pushing this.  It will
be nice to have this included before before the software licensing changes
are made (early this weekend).

Thanks,
Hans

On 10/21/10 4:43 AM, "Gaëtan Lehmann" <gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr> wrote:

> I guess we all have to agree that this is not right way to use gerrit.
> In order to avoid overloading the gerrit interface and giving enough
> visibility to the other entries, I'd like to push those changes in
> ITK, if nobody disagree.
>
> At some point, we'll have to define a limit so the developer can
> choose what should go in gerrit and what shouldn't.
>
> Gaëtan
>

> Le 19 oct. 10 à 21:45, Gaëtan Lehmann a écrit :
>

>> Le 19 oct. 10 à 19:54, Marcus D. Hanwell a écrit :
>>
>>> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com
>>>
>>> http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,209

>>> Personally, I would not have made a single commit for each
>>> class...Gerrit or no Gerrit. I would have also squashed a few of the
>>> commits such as,
>>>
>>> http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,200
>>>
>>> This is something that I would edit in my local history before
>>> publish.
>>
>> The classes touched by this patch were already in the ITK repository.
>> I've squashed as much changes as I can to avoid the bug fixing
>> patches of my previous non yet integrated patches and make the
>> number of patches not to big.

>>> Like I said, such large topic are likely to be painful either way.
>>> The
>>> web interface is certainly not optimized for topic branches either.
>>> Would the command line Gerrit tools have been useful?
>>>
>>> http://gerrit.googlecode.com/svn/documentation/2.1.5/cmd-review.html
>>>
>>> $ ssh review.source.kitware.com gerrit review --project ITK --message
>>> \"This comment entered from the command line.\" --verified 1
>>> --code-review 1 eb675d9870bc94ebe8bd8d87968ee36cfe5e7ff9

>>> I think it all depends on whether the commits ever needed to be
>>> reviewed independently. If they did not then I am not sure they
>>> needed
>>> their own commits, but that is up for debate. If it is just the
>>> number
>>> of clicks you had to make in order to approve a topic branch, then I
>>> wonder if an 'Approve topic branch' solution would be most
>>> appropriate?
>>>
>>> The problem is if you ask someone to squash all of their commits into
>>> one for review, ask for a change to be made before approval do they
>>> then need to go back to their topic, edit its history, re-squash it,
>>> then add back in the Change-Id and when it is finally merged have
>>> what
>>> is merged bear no resemblance to what Gerrit say/approved?
>>>
>>> Gerrit has a fairly well developed command line interface if you
>>> would
>>> like a functionality to approve a topic branch. I guess when the
>>> patch
>>> set is so big it is unlikely people will have time to fully review
>>> the
>>> changes. The merge is certainly a simple operation, merging in the