[Insight-developers] Commit message prefixes

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 15:12:04 EDT 2010

I just edited the vtk commit messages for the last week. Notice that
the automated messages al have a common prefix. Actually, more than 5
characters. The old required prefixes appear quite often, even though
there is not a commit hook. The messages that do not have an approved
commit message, usually start with a verb, which is selected by the
commiter and is not consistent: (adding, fixed, moving, added,
changing).

I think, as computer scientists, we have learned that having an agreed
upon lexicon is good.

Bill

Merge topic 'add-vtkvector-to-srcs'  master nightly-master
COMP: Add vtkVector to Kit_SRCS so vtkChartsHie...
Merge topic 'add-vtkvector-to-srcs'
COMP: Add vtkVector to Kit_SRCS so vtkChartsHierarchy...
Merge topic 'comp-cygwin-visibility'
COMP: The "visibility" fix for mingw also applies to...
Merge topic 'includes-system-remove'
BUG: Fixed the source and system include separation.
Merge topic 'comp-cygwin-gdi'
COMP: Fix link errors related to not explicitly linking...
Merge topic 'mni-file-readers'
BUG: Fix crash when no filename set.
COMP: Fix dashboard warnings.
Merge topic 'mni-file-readers'
ENH: Add test for vtkMNIObjectReader/Writer.
STYLE: Documentation and formatting.
ENH: Recognized the reserved data type 'V'.
BUG: Remove the polygon reversal check, it doesn't...
BUG: Removed the system include directories.
COMP: On some platforms "index" is a system function.
ENH: Add file IO classes for BIC-MNI file formats.
Merge topic 'scalar-color-mapping'
Merge topic 'ImplicitModellerSmallZFix'
Fixed case where small Z dimension (less than # of...
Adding in a safety check to avoid a divide by zero...
Merge topic 'ParallelCoordinatesLeak'
ENH: Fixed memory leak
Fixed the issue with polygon offsets and near / far...
Merge topic 'sortfilenames-opt'
ENH: Pass strings to comparison function by reference.
Merge topic 'asciiReader-eof-fix'
Another boundary condition I missed...
Moving an openGL call to the derived classes.
Merge topic 'text-codecs-const-fix'
COMP: Cannot return const bool - client server wrapping.
Merge topic 'minc-attribute-validation'
ENH: Fewer warnings for non-standard minc files.
Merge topic 'Latin1-unicode-in-DelimitedTextReader'
changed order of const and virtual in declarations...
Merge topic 'Latin1-unicode-in-DelimitedTextReader'
Added a call to delete the codec after we are done.
Forgot PrintSelf methods which made one of the python...
Merge topic 'comp-vtktextcodecfactory'
Added an include for algorithm, some platforms do not...
COMP: find is an algorithm. Need to #include <algorithm...
Changing the amount of colors shown for lookup tables.
Merge topic 'msvc_mp_flag_option'
ENH: Added a configure option to enable /MP flag on...
Merge topic 'Latin1-unicode-in-DelimitedTextReader'
Merge topic 'legend_improvements'
Fixed PrintSelf.