[Insight-developers] ITK to VNL to ITK

Padfield, Dirk R (GE Global Research) padfield at research.ge.com
Thu Aug 4 16:07:57 EDT 2011

Hello Developers,

In some of my code, I do conversions between ITK images and VNL matrices
so that I can do efficient computations in VNL and then convert the
output back to ITK images.  Since I do this in different pieces of code,
I would prefer not to embed this code in each filter because that leads
to duplication and makes it hard to update all of the copies of the code
when changes are needed.  So, I would like to have a separate helper
class/function/filter that does these conversions.

My questions are:

1)    Do classes already exist that do this?

2)    Is there general agreement that such classes would be helpful as
part of ITK?

3)    Where should such classes reside?

Thanks,

Dirk