[Insight-developers] No longer building XCode

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Aug 29 12:49:03 EDT 2011

On 8/29/2011 12:36 PM, Sean McBride wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:42:03 -0400, Bradley Lowekamp said:
>
>> I will not longer be perform  a nightly build with the XCode Generator.
>> The Modularization is brutal on it. It now takes over 3x as long as it
>> did for ITK 3.20.
>
> I haven't used CMake's Xcode generator much, but have noticed in my own nightlies of CMake itself, that it's much slower.  I don't know why.
>
>> Please look at the build graph timing here:
>>
>> http://www.cdash.org/CDash/buildSummary.php?buildid=1475559
>
> I notice there are a lot of warnings, perhaps you are experiencing this:
> <http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=12381>

I know this has come up before, but do we really need to see 1000
warnings from a build?  The reason ctest clips them to 50 in the first
place it to keep the data from getting big when going to the server.  As
far as I can tell this just bloats the CDash DB, and ties up network
bandwidth.  No one is looking at 1000 warnings.   If you look at the
graph, it scales right up in time with the number of warnings.  So, it
likely is the issue that Sean brings up.  It is also bloating the CDash
DB, and taking up network traffic...

Can we go back to something smaller?

-Bill