[Insight-developers] ITK 4.0 release clean up

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Tue Dec 13 15:48:29 EST 2011

Hi Michael, Brian,

I also think it would be better to clean up the names now, but we have
run out of time.  We should definitely make the change, though.

Thank you for coming to consensus on v4.  There was not enthusiasm
about v4 at the TCon, but better ideas were not put forth.  v4 sounds
fine to me, and as Arnaud recommended, we can use the same for the
doxygen version tag.  We could talk to Arnaud about a possible change
to V4, too -- it would not be a huge issue.

It will be an inconvenience to the users to change their code, but we
will not have many users if they cannot figure out what is going on.
It would be foolish to not make a very important change for the sake
of a month's users to the detriment of the next ten year's of use and
development that follows.  There are many improvements that users
should access with ITK v4.0.0, but the state of level sets and
registration is, in reality, only RC or beta.  They have come a long
way, but to freeze API here would just make a mess permanent.

I will put together a patch that adds a CMake warning if the new
registration or level sets modules are enabled.  Similar to
ITK_USE_REVIEW=ON in ITKv3, it will warn that the API is not stable
yet.  There was agreement to hold off backwards incompatibility until
June at the Bethesda meeting, and to use BIG BOLD LETTERS that it is
not to be expected in the release notes, but this should be helpful,
too.

Thanks,
Matt