[Insight-developers] Clang Warnings about in-class static initializers...

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Dec 16 10:37:58 EST 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:29:54 +0000, Williams, Norman K said:

>I built the svn trunk CLang compiler to use on OSX Lion and ran into a ton
>of errors about in-class static member initializers.  The warning says
>this is a gcc extension.
>
>The header in question is in VXL, so to fix it properly we'd have to get
>the VXL people to incorporate a fix.
>
>1. I'm assuming this is a extension to standard C++ that is supported by
>all the ITK4-supported compilers.
>2. Is this something that should be fixed, if only to shut CLang up about
>it?

I have brought this up with the vxl folks in the past.  At first, clang rejected it entirely (as it's technically invalid) but later clang allowed it with it a warning.  We'd have to check the list archives, but I don't believe it's fixed in vxl master currently, I think I disabled that warning on my vxl dashboard so they would not be distracted from the many other warnings clang emits, but no one seems to have done much there...

(Worse, vxl doesn't even build, with its default settings, on Lion anymore.)

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com