[Insight-developers] ITK version numbers

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Dec 19 14:58:08 EST 2011

On 12/19/2011 1:31 PM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> VTK's is different. VTK in vtkGenerateVTKConfig.cmake has the magic to
> create a VTKConfig.cmake that uses the kwsys time stamp.

Right, I was thinking only of the version header files.  I forgot about
my VTK change for this:

   http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=commitdiff;h=19852427

On 12/19/2011 1:31 PM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> CMake's approach is even better.

Thanks.  The only reason CMake uses 4 components is because we regularly
release new features in versions that increase only the "patch" number.
The approach works equally well for 3-component versions:

  major.minor.<patch|date>

or any number of components so long as the date is in a component deeper
than the one updated for new features.  When that component is a date
it means development.  When the component is a small integer it is a
maintenance release (the initial release being number 0).

Of course the "date" in a development version is meaningful only along
one branch of development e.g. "master".  In a world of non-linear
development paths (Git) a granular feature-availability test actually
needs the history graph to be available for a reach-ability test.

-Brad