[Insight-developers] ITK version numbers

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Dec 19 15:06:05 EST 2011

On 12/19/2011 2:59 PM, Bradley Lowekamp wrote:
> The versions in SimpleITK needs some help too, and I am tempted
 > to follow CMake's approach.

I just posted another message about it.  The approach isn't that
good with non-linear development histories in Git.  The reason is
exactly what you asked (see below).

> What is the CC in the dateweak?

Century, as in "20" for the year "2011".

> How are the release, master, and next branches distinguished?

The release branch always points at commits whose source trees
know they are releases.  The master and next branches cannot be
distinguished.  The CMake "master" branch is the one that gets
the nightly date stamp commit replayed into it from KWSys.
The "next" branch only gets updated with a new date when we
merge master into it.  Technically this is breaking the invariant
that next should always contain master.  Also constantly running
a robot to update the date stamp is a pain.

I'm not very happy with the nightly date stamp approach so I cannot
recommend it for use in other projects, especially if they use
multiple integration branches.  It is left over from CVS when the
only way to version a checkout globally was with a date.

Read the man page for "git describe" to see how Git itself computes
version numbers for non-linear development.

-Brad K